A STUNNING goal from Joe Harvey propelled the Torrens Valley Rams to a spiteful 1-0 win over Northern Pitbulls at Birdwood Park on Saturday.
The talisman scored from an improbable angle in the 63rd minute, as he stroked the ball across the goal face through the goalkeeper’s legs from near the edge of the penalty area and the goal line.
The home side were left to battle with ten men for the final quarter hour.

The first half spawned few chances for the Rams, the best which came when a Brody Short corner fell to the feet of Harvey whose powerful right-foot shot brought out the best of the Pitbulls’ ‘keepers’ reflexes.
At the other end, Rams goalkeeper John Vyden was nearly left red-faced when he misjudged a shot on goal and it ricocheted off the upright.
Immediately after he made amends though, forced into an acrobatic save after the visitors unleashed a tidy shot from the edge of the box.

Bibby was cautioned by the referee for a crude tackle just before half time, but the game turned for the worse when Simon Rose copped a late tackle within a minute of the second half restart.
Immediately after, a Pitbulls’ defender earned the ire of the referee when he collected Matt McLoughlin in a high tackle as the Rams mounted an impressive counterattack down the left wing.

The vocal away supporters were silenced when Harvey delivered the decisive blow just after the hour mark.
Bibby hit the ball forward from his defensive half as Harvey ran into space. The captain outmuscled his opponent and while running out of pitch to play on, somehow snuck the ball home through the legs of the ‘keeper from near the goal line about 15 yards out.

The visitors showed no signs of mercy as they pushed for an equaliser with the referee called in to diffuse several incidents which could have warranted early showers for several players. Rams’ defender Jeremy Byrnes copped a foot in the face as he fell victim to nasty behind the play antics.

The Pitbulls were unlucky not to find an equaliser late in the second half with a man advantage, with the best effort cannoning off the cross bar, onto the goal line and away.

The match was marred by sadistic chants towards the referee from several away supporters.

In the earlier kick-off, the Rams reserves scored three second half goals but fell short at the final whistle 4-3.
Questionable defensive work and goalkeeping allowed the visitors to go into half time with a 2-0 lead, but within two minutes of the restart, the Rams were back in the game.
Captain Andrew Craig fed half-time substitute Matt McLoughlin a delicious through ball and the speedster latched on the pass and finished past the ‘keeper for his first goal of the season.

The switch of Jeff Flynn into the centre of the park and Craig in a more attacking role had already paid dividends.
Rams ‘keeper Chris Brittain could only get an outstretched hand to the reply, as the Pitbulls 3-1 up within a matter of minutes.

The Craig/McLoughlin combination put on another show moments later.
The latter, dubbed “Mr Efficient’ by his peers, scored another goal after Craig’s deft through-ball sliced open the back four.

The Pitbulls put another in the back of the next ten minutes later but Craig nabbed a goal for himself with a clinical right-foot finish at a tight angle in the 89th minute.