TORRENS Valley scored three unanswered second half goals to pull off a vital 4-3 away win at Mount Compass on Saturday. 
For the second successive week the Rams left the goal show reel til late in the game, with Simon Rose rounding off a hat-trick with two goals in the final eight minutes to seal the victory. 
Simmering near the basement of division four with only three points from five matches, the Rams made the worst start possible as they went 1-0 down within three minutes.              

Seemingly stunned by the pace of the opening stanza, the Rams were continually under pressure as the home side dominated early.

Goalkeeper John Vyden again showed why he was last season’s club champion with a string of miracle saves - notably a point blank effort fired at goal near the penalty spot.
As Vyden parried, burly backman Shane Parker made an impressive goal line clearance with his head with the follow-up shot on goal.

As the Rams pushed for an equaliser and the home side pressed hard in attack, the match heated up with several meaty challenges at both ends of the pitch.
The physicality of the match proved costly as both teams were forced into early substitutions due to injury.

Against the run of play, Rose put Torrens Valley level on 35 minutes.
The agile striker found space past the defensive line, outsmarted the opposition goalkeeper one-on-one and finished from close range.

Mount Compass restored its lead three minutes later after a brilliant cut-back across goal was swept into the back of the net from the edge of the area.
Before the Rams could take a breath, they were 3-1 down.
A clumsy foul in the box resulted in a cheap penalty which was coolly converted.

The home side pushed for more glory before halftime and returned to the pitch after the break with the same intensity. The Rams, however, came into the second period after a motivational half-time pep talk and its improved attitude was infectious.

Tobias Carpenter’s military-style work ethic was exceptional and mature centre-back Parker showed increasing signs that he is still several years from retirement. Rose looked a most likely to score for the visitors, as his supply from the midfield became healthier and the Rams’ defensive line worked around the clock to keep their opposition at bay.

The Rams were rewarded for their persistence when Chris Smith was bundled over in the box on 74 minutes. Parker stepped up to the spot and finished clinically past the rigid goalkeeper.

Mount Compass’ pivotal centre-back limped off with an ankle injury late in the half and the Rams immediately capitalised against the under strength back four. Smith delivered a deft free kick into the box and Rose flicked the ball in past the ‘keeper with his head on 82 minutes.
Both teams had debatable penalty kick claims denied in the frantic few minutes that followed but Rose delivered the killer blow with four minutes to play.

Craig Bibby turned his marker like a screw in the final third of the pitch and delivered a precise cross into the area. The cross found Rose who nudged the ball past the stranded keeper for his third of the match.
The spirited fightback will increase the confidence of the Rams who play East Adelaide at Birdwood Park next on June 16.

In the first match, the reserves’ 4-1 win lifts it from 11th to mid-table.

Mach Ayuen’s 39th minute solo run first troubled the scoresheet after some good lead up work from Ryan Haynes and Ben Geytenbeek.

Goalkeeper Chris Brittain was forced into a nifty save just before half time and continued his fine form as Mount Compass created several chances with their quick passing game.

Andrew Liddemore scored his second credible goal in as many starts for the reserves team with a clinical strike 90 seconds into the second half. On his preferred left foot, Liddemore unleashed a cracking shot from outside the penalty area on the right hand side that soared into the distant top corner of the goal.

The intensity of the match increased as Ayuen and Geytenbeek worked well together on the left flank and the latter had his own chance at goal but saw his effort parried away by the ‘keeper. Poor defending allowed the home side to pull a goal back on 75 minutes.

Following a nervous few minutes, super-sub Brody Short ended any hopes of a home team comeback with a brilliant solo effort. Short used a trademark trick-stick move to wrong foot his opposition in midfield and then sent a rifling shot from the edge of the box into the net via a deflection off a hapless defender.
Short doubled his quota one minute from time after an industrious Nathin Castle delivered a precise cross, which Short finished neatly past the stunned home ‘keeper.