TORRENS Valley silenced the roar of the Ukrainian Sports Club Lions, with a gritty 3-2 win at Grange on Saturday.
Shane Parker, Andrew Fowler and Joseph Harvey were all on target for the visitors, who endured a testing seven minutes of second half injury time to hold on for the three points.
The third win in as many starts moves the Rams into the amateur league division four top six for the first time this season.                                                
In a telling defensive performance for the Rams, it was the defender in Parker who opened the scoring on the quarter hour. A Brody Short corner eluded all players at the front post and the ball fell to Parker who found space to finish from five yards.

The third placed home side wasted a host of early chances and Rams striker Simon Rose should have made them pay twice in matter of minutes. The efficient striker chipped the ‘keeper but hit the post and then fired his low shot straight at the custodian when clear on goal a second time.

The Rams’ were rewarded just before half time when Fowler unleashed a wicked volley from outside the box which bounced and swerved into the top right corner of the goal.

USC continued to press in the second half, but as the match tempo dropped, the anticipated goal came. Harvey gave away a soft free kick in his own half and the resulting punt sped past the defensive line and goalkeeper ‘Prince’ John Vyden was stranded as the ball was lifted over his head.

The Lions whimpered, but were yet to roar as they thrust forward searching for an equaliser.

But, arguably against the run of play, a lethargic Harvey stepped up with a mature captain’s goal, which gave his team the shot in the arm it needed.
Parker belted a clearance-come-assist from his own half to Harvey on the edge of the penalty area, who rose and flicked a crafty touch over the last defender and the approaching ‘keeper, to then run onto his own handy work and blast the ball into the roof of an unguarded net.

USC pulled a goal back on 88 minutes, but Torrens Valley held strong thanks chiefly to a reliable Vyden.

In the early fixture, the Rams were mulesed by a quick USC outfit, in fact, simply by one slick Lion striker. The same USC player, playing his first match apparently in 12 months, scored all five goals for the home side in the 5-1 demolition.
His first with a left foot drive on 16 minutes, followed by a six yard finish on 18 minutes following a defensive mix-up.
Two minutes later, the Rams ‘keeper was sent the wrong way after a deflection and USC were 3-0 up.

The docile game flipped on 30 minutes when an obnoxious Jeff Flynn challenge unsettled the home side. The referee sent off a USC player for violent conduct in the exchange that followed.

A little hope was restored for the Rams at the start of the second half when a deft David Dau corner was scrambled into the back of the net.

However, the visitors could not take advantage of the extra man and went down further after 75 and again on 88 minutes when the repeat offender beat the slothful Rams defence, cut inside and finished on his preferred left foot. In positive scenes for the Rams, Ash Lawson showed improvement at centre-back; his replacement Steve Nemet a composed figure on the ball; and Nathin Castle a constructive contributor in the midfield.

The Iannace Torrens Valley Rams host Adelaide University at Birdwood Park this Saturday from 1pm. Come along and support your local teams.