TORRENS Valley opened their 2013 season travelling to Murray Bridge to take a well- earned point in a gritty 1-1 draw in their SAASL Division 3 fixture Saturday April 13. 
Torrens Valley started strong and could’ve been one up within three minutes as Rams winger Matthew McLoughlin couldn’t quite get his boot to a loose ball from 10 yards.  Just minutes later the Rams Togolese recruit Albert Tetevi won the ball in a tight tussle with his Murray Bridge opponent but his attempted chip shot one on one with the advancing Murray Bridge keeper, Matthew Penta sailed just over the crossbar.

After ten minutes of play Torrens Valley finally got reward for their earlier efforts as a quick free quick taken by centre-half David Vanson picked out the run of skipper Joseph Harvey who calmly slotted past Penta.

Murray Bridge United slowly began to gain momentum as skipper Dylan August, Harley McFee and Stuart Bradshaw combined on a number of occasions to cause the Valley defence some problems.

The Rams were giving away free kicks deep in their defensive third and an equaliser came after twenty-five minutes as Bradshaw glanced a header home from an August set-piece.

Whilst Murray Bridge continued to press, Torrens Valley looked to counter quickly. However an injury to Tetevi seemed to take the spark out of the Rams strike-force. He was replaced by David Dau after thirty-five minutes.

The second half was hard fought as the Rams midfielders Andrew Fowler and Joseph Harvey desperately tried to regain control in the middle of the park. However Murray Bridge was content with utilising their wings with McFee and Bahati Onesphore finding space on numerous occasions.

Crucial tackles by Rams defenders Vanson and Shane Parker kept Valley in the hunt for an away point.

Murray Bridge United skipper perhaps should have sealed the win with just over ten minutes remaining but a fast approaching John Vyden cuts the angles down perfectly.

Vyden was again in the action shortly after as he plucked a well-struck volley by McFee cleanly out of mid-air.

Torrens Valley thought they had found a late winner with just minutes remaining, as Parker headed home beautifully from a well-placed free-kick. However Parker was adjudged to have fouled an opponent in the box.

The 1-1 result earning the Rams a valuable point away in what will be a challenging season after being promoted to Division 3 despite finishing fifth in Division 4 in 2012.

Earlier in the day the Rams reserves came out 4-0 winners in a dominating display with Simon Hanna scoring two goals and Tirryn Nankivell and Stuart Sefton with singles.

Torrens Valley controlled the tempo of the match with Nankivell marshalling the central-midfield and Hanna, Sefton and Dau causing headaches for the Murray Bridge defence.

The Rams defence had very little to do throughout the game but when called upon withstood the pressure. Goalkeeper Chris Brittain also made some good saves and his distribution is improving dramatically.

Torrens Valley were set to face Angkor Hornbill this Saturday, however the match has been postponed due to a death within their club. Therefore the Rams next fixture will be at Grange against USC (Ukranian Sporting Club) Lion on Saturday April 27.